The Romance Reviews

Sunday 29 November 2009

Hermit Week = Heaven on Earth

Every November I retreated to the Isle of Palms (South Carolina) to immerse myself in writing.

For a week I am a Hermit, sequestered from the world so I can concentrate on whatever story is occupying the major space in my brain.  I ignore emails, let the phone battery die and pretend I don't have a day job.

Typically, my writing space is a deep, wide porch that opens onto a heated swimming pool, sand dunes and the ocean. Sometimes I write. Sometimes I drift in daydreams. Sometimes I walk along the beach, feet in the surf.

The week is hosted by the Low Country Romance Writers, and 10 writers share the house. We write all day, meet up for supper about 6 p.m. and then hang and chat. Or if the story calls, we go back to work. There are no rules or expectations for the week, which suits me just fine because I have too many expectations and rules the rest of the time.


But in addition to the uninterrupted writing time and the beach mere steps from my door, the friendships that I make and renew each year make Isle of Palms special.

In many ways, only writers can understand another writer, and only a true friend who writes can understand why I didn't notice she ate breakfast beside me because I'd hit the writing zone.

Friendship, writing to my heart's content and the ocean lulling me to sleep each night. Sigh. Heaven.




8 comments:

Kaye Manro said...

OMG, Keena-- What a beautiful place. And what a wonderful space and time to write. I love your pics. Just looking at them is relaxing!

Chelle Cordero said...

Hi Keena, Isle of Palms is such a beautiful and inspiring place I can well imagine that the words just sing while you are there. So glad you have such a wondrous spot for a writing retreat.

Lindsay Townsend said...

Blissful, Keena! I'm not surprised you love it. Sounds and looks like heaven on earth to me.

Beautiful photos, too!

Thanks so much for sharing a very special place and 'zone'.

Francesca Prescott said...

Keena, what a wonderful experience! It reminds me of a week I spent on a Greek island a few years ago, all alone in a little cottage. It was freezing cold - it was February and there was no heating save a wood burning stove. I'd never been on holiday alone before, and was terrified before setting out, but I had the most fabulous time and got loads of writing done. I met some lovely people, too. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Your photographs are stunning!

Mona Risk said...

Keena-- That is really heaven. I wish...I wish... enjoy it Keena.

Savanna Kougar said...

Keena, that is writing heaven... so wish I was there now! I need that kind of aloneness to finish my current story.
Yes, the pics are utterly gorgeous and inspiring.

Jeffe Kennedy said...

*jealous*

LK Hunsaker said...

Gorgeous photos and the way you write of the experience helps put us right there.

Yes, only another writer would understand why we sometimes have no clue what's going on around us. ;-)