The Romance Reviews

Monday 30 August 2010

The promised follow-up


Posted by Jen Black, 30th August, Summer Bank Holiday


You are probably thinking I'd forgotten my promise to write more tomorrow on the revealing personality topic, or you thought it's like the pub sign that used to hang outside an inn on the Yorkshire moors advertising Free Ale Tomorrow. Well, tomorrow never came as far as the free ale was concerned, but I have written the post!

Given that it's a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK ( and for some weird reason that makes me think the whole world is on holiday when of course, it's not) I deliberately held off for a while, thinking everyone would be busy with families and excursions hunting down free ale.


I've put the follow-up post on my personal blog. Given my recent blunders with links, let me see if I can get this one correct:



I had my doubts about the topic and if it was right for Lindsay's Romantics anyway, so maybe you'll let me know?

6 comments:

Lindsay Townsend said...

Jen - have no fears! Your post is great and your topic is great. Your link works, too!

Reading your post, I too would be struck by the telephone sex scene and maybe wonder how I could adapt it for my own periods - ancient world and medieval. I did adapt the idea of texting in my A KNIGHT'S VOW, where I had the hero and heroine exchange messages on very expensive scraps of parchement as a way of 'courting' each. So sex on the telephone table - yes, I can see how it got you wondering!

Super, thought-provoking post.

Linda Banche said...

Of course part of the author comes through in the book. That's why two authors will write entirely different stories based on the same theme. Look at all the versions of Cinderella out there.

As for a sex scene being part of the author's real life? Come, now. Nobody has had sex with vampires or werewolves. It's fiction!

And write on whatever holiday you want. Next Monday, Sept. 6, is a holiday in the US.

Lindsay Townsend said...

Hi Linda - what holiday is it, please? (I've no idea.)

Lindsay Townsend said...

As a reflection of personality maybe one of us on the lindsay's romantics blog should post up a photo or picture and see how many different flash fiction pieces we all create from it. Might be a fun and interesting thing to do.

Linda Banche said...

Hi Lindsay, next Monday (the first Monday in September) is Labor Day in the US.

Bekki Lynn said...

Isn't imagination a wonderful thing? I love the parchment texting idea, Lindsay.

I think we get new and fresh ideas from reading other authors. It rejuvinates us.

Otherwise, our scenes would become the same ole thing. And it's just not the act itself, it's the reaction of the characters, their verbal responses to what they are experiences. That's what I struggle with. There are stale and stagnant reactions and we must find fresh ones.

So, in a way authors are helping authors. And it's up to us to make sure we respect copyright.