The Romance Reviews

Monday 19 August 2013

So I dabbled in Paranormal


I finally broke out of the mold. For years I wrote romantic suspense novels, liked the genre (and apparently so did some readers), and was very comfortable with the genre. I’ve always liked a bit of edge of the seat mystery and am a hopeless romantic myself, so…

But a story was haunting me. Driven by my own nightmarish dreams as a child, I developed a character who dreams and “visits” people who need comfort during a crisis. Sometimes all she can do is lend a soothing presence. In her own life a crisis is brewing – who is there for her? And so Karma Visited, a paranormal suspense novel, was born.

Do you believe in karma? Annie Furman has a gift that allows her, while she sleeps, to visit people in their time of need - but who will be there for her when she needs help? Undersheriff Dave Turner is investigating a series of home invasions and homicides. He has no idea that solving this case will lead him to the woman of his dreams.

(Okay, I admit, I am still a bit of a romantic and couldn't help leaving people wondering if a relationship would develop from this.)

I found that writing this first paranormal was a challenging task. While I have a firm, personal belief in all things otherworldly and telepathic, it was still difficult to do. In the past I concentrated on writing about tangible things, things that could not be disputed. It was… safe.

Notice though that I said “first paranormal”, I liked the genre and liked exploring some of my more personal beliefs, there will be more.

Excerpt:

Tears streaked down her cheeks and left lines on her soot stained cheeks. I rested my hand on hers and hoped she felt at least a little bit of comfort. The children were safe, she made sure of that. I let her know I admired her bravery. She appreciated the compliment, for just a moment, and then fear grabbed her again.
She stood again and tried to shake the bars free from the window. Safety bars. Those bars were meant to keep evil out and now all they did was trap her in. Luckily the little ones could squeeze between the wrought iron rods and she dropped them to horrified bystanders on the street. She understood that there was no way she could escape, but she was determined to save the children.
One by one she made sure that her charges would be alright, they were safe. And now it was time for her to die, but now the fear of how she would suffer terrified her.
Coughs seized her body as she sank back down to the floor and cried some more. Flames were licking the walls. There wasn’t much time left. We were both scared, but I knew I had no reason to fear for myself.
We could hear the sirens of the approaching fire trucks, but there wasn’t time. Her eyes were haunted as she looked at me and I prayed that the smoke would claim her before the flames. My prayers were answered. I sat still and stroked her limp hand and felt so sad that the girl’s last minutes were filled with terror.
As the burning ceiling above us sent flaming stalactites raining down, I knew she was at peace.
 

“Karma Visited captured me from the beginning and never let go. This tale of good, evil, and a miraculous gift between has a cast of characters you’ll never forget. Well done, Chelle Cordero.” ~ Charmaine Gordon, Author of Survive and Thrive novels and Mature Romances

Karma Visited e-book is available for pre-order through September 15, 2013 from KOBObooks, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, and iTunesApple.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of reading an advance copy of Karma Visited last week and the characters live in my memory. You've written a remarkable unusual story, Chelle. Thank you.

Lindsay Townsend said...

Tweeted it, Chelle!

Chelle Cordero said...

Charmaine, Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement while I was writing the story.

Lindsay, I always appreciate authors who help "spread the word", thanks ever so much!